If it is not possible to schedule a Westmoreland Cleanways speaker we can work with you to develop a lesson or activity. We also have educational material available at no charge. Printed material is available while supplies last; the interactive boards are available for loan on a first-come, first-served basis. Contact Natalie or call 724-836-4129 for technical support or to order materials and supplies.
Celebrate Earth Day Every Day! (Westmoreland Cleanways)
|Grades 3-6: Booklet containing a variety of activities and information about how kids can celebrate Earth Day right here in Westmoreland County.|
Open Your Eyes to Litter Booklet Series (PA Cleanways/Keep PA Beautiful)
|Open Your Eyes to Litter — Grades K-3: helps kids understand the difference between intentional litter (which they know is harmful) and accidental litter (which happens unintentionally, but is still harmful).|
|Our Littered Past — Grades 4-6: helps kids see that ever since people have lived together in groups, dealing with their litter and waste has been an issue; how caring individuals and groups can help|
|Think Before You Toss — Grades 4-6: describes the ways trash can be handled when properly disposed of: it is recycled, goes to a landfill, or is burned in a resource recovery facility.|
|Litter In A Watershed — Grades K-3: focuses on how illegal dumping and littering affect watersheds.|
|Keeping Our Greenways Clean — Grades 4-6: how litter and illegal dumping impact greenways and why it's important to keep our environment clean.
Erth Moore Worm (Westmoreland Cleanways)
"Erth Moore Worm" is an educational publication to teach children about composting, ecology, and the environment in an amusing way. Within the story, Erth Moore the Earthworm enlists a few animal friends to convince Mr. Gardener to compost in his yard. During the course of the story each friend explains how composting would benefit their lives.
* Meets certain PA Dept. of Education standards
Test Your Litter IQ Board: Interactive puzzle board that shows the true lifespan of litter. Participants choose how long litter takes to break down in the environment. A buzzer sounds with the correct answer.
Close The Loop Recycling Board: Interactive puzzle board that shows what becomes of commonly recycled items. Participants decide what items are made from what recyclable material. The recycling loop (mobius) flashes with the correct answer.
Picture Books (Ages 3-8)
A River Ran Wild, by Lynne Cherry
Big Bear Hug, by Nicholas Oldland
Compost by Gosh! by Michelle Eva Portman
Curious George Plants a Tree, by Marica Perez
Gabby and Grandma Go Green, by Monica Wellington
Grover's 10 Terrific Ways to Help Our Wonderful World, by Anna Ross
It's Earth Day, by Mercer Mayer
Just a Dream, by Chris Van Allsburg
Lorax, by Dr Seuss
Magic School Bus Gets Recycled, by Anne Capeci
Michael Recycle, by Ellie Bethel
The Great Trash Bash, by Loreen Leedy
We are Extremely Very Good Recyclers, by Lauren Child
Wiggling Worms at Work, by Wendy Pfeffer
Wump World, by Bill Peet
Beginner Readers (Ages 7-12)
Earthworms, by Claire Llewelllyn and Barrie Watts
Judy Moody Saves the World, by Megan McDonald
Just Grace Goes Green, by Charise Mericle Harper
Marty McGuire digs worms! By Kate Messner
Mr. Garbage, by William H. Hooks
Pee Wee's Great Adventure, A guide to vermicomposting by Larraine Roulston
Garbology, Our Dirty Love Affair with Trash, by Edward Humes
If you come across a great book please share it with us by contacting Natalie.
Websites and Videos
Great resources for planning lessons, activities or for developing awareness and understanding.
- Recommunity, Education Station: Visit an interactive MRF (material recovery facility) and other videos.
- Think Green: Waste Management and Discovery Education have partnered to engage students in learning about the environment.
- Green Education Foundation: Explore the free lesson clearinghouse to find stand-alone lessons that are easily integrated into your existing curriculum plans.
- National Environmental Education Week: Join a national network of educators and organizations dedicated to increasing the environmental knowledge of K-12 students.
- How We Make Stuff: This website is based on a pop-up book 'How we make stuff', written by Christiane Dorion. This website explores further how we can learn from living systems and rethink the way we design, make and use our stuff.
- How Toilet Paper is Made (from recycling) [Video]
- Welcome to the Conversionator Recycling Calculator [Video]
- How Landfills are Built and Operated [Video]
- Pacific Garbage Patch on Oprah [Video]
- Pacific Garbage Patch on GMA [Video]
If you come across a great website or video, please share it with us by contacting Natalie.