Who We Are
Westmoreland Cleanways is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is to protect, restore, and maintain the environmental qualities of our county for the benefit of all who live, work, and visit herein.
Westmoreland Cleanways accomplishes its mission by sponsoring and promoting programs that address the proper disposal of solid waste through recycling, special collections, and the cleanup of illegal dumpsites and littered areas. We educate the public through presentations, print media, and the web.
Westmoreland Cleanways became an Affiliate of Keep America Beautiful in 2011, attracting strategic partnerships and nationally recognized litter prevention, recycling, education, and beautification programs to benefit our community.
Westmoreland Cleanways initiates and facilitates programs by bringing together a network of volunteers, industry leaders, and state and local government representatives to provide services in the most efficient and economical manner. Westmoreland Cleanways is funded by Westmoreland County, member fees, private donations, sponsorships, and grants. Volunteers donate time, energy, and expertise to carry out our mission.
How We Got Here
PA CleanWays was founded in 1990 in Hempfield Township, Pennsylvania, to combat illegal dumping by coordinating the efforts of local residents, local businesses, and local government to clean up illegal dumpsites and to keep them clean.
By 1992, PA CleanWays had moved beyond Westmoreland County; its original charter was amended to become a chapter-based organization, with Westmoreland being the first chapter.
PA CleanWays of Westmoreland County expanded its services to address other issues related to solid waste that could create a serious environmental hazard to wildlife, vegetation and waterways if not disposed properly. Such items included tires, Freon appliances, scrap metal, car parts, chemicals and old paint, furniture and yard waste. By 1993, collection/recycling events for such hard-to-dispose items were organized. **The types of materials collected have grown and adapted to changing demand, and now include electronic waste, pharmaceuticals, and other hazardous materials.
In 1997, in recognition of its growing expertise in recycling, PA CleanWays of Westmoreland County signed a letter of understanding with Westmoreland County to serve as the county recycling coordinators, charged with overseeing all municipal, commercial and recycling activities in the county. That agreement is currently in force through December 31, 2015.
In 2005, PA CleanWays of Westmoreland County reincorporated as Westmoreland Cleanways to strengthen its identity and commitment to its members, volunteers, sponsors and funders in Westmoreland County.
In 2011, Westmoreland Cleanways was certified as an Affiliate of Keep America Beautiful, the attainment of which would "bring the power of America's largest community improvement network to the Westmoreland County community."
From a small band of volunteers frustrated by the dangers posed by an illegal dumpsite in their neighborhood, Westmoreland Cleanways has grown into the premiere environmental and recycling organization serving Westmoreland County. Managed by a small staff and volunteer board of directors, programs are conducted each year by hundreds of volunteers, supporters, funders, and sponsors. A list of programs follows. Detailed information about each program can be found throughout the rest of this website.
- Recycling Events/Programs
- • Hard-to-Recycle Collection Events: tires, batteries, scrap metal, electronics, Freon appliances, CFLs, ink cartridges, etc.
- • Recycling On The Go: ClearStream Recycling Bin Loaner Program
- • Household Hazardous Waste Collection
- • Pharmaceuticals Collection
- • Electronics Recycling (E-Cycling)
- • Christmas Tree Dropoff (Tree-Cycling)
- • Keep America Beautiful Program Support
- • Fugitive Tire Program
- • Backyard Composting Workshops
- • Annual Recycling Guide
- • Classroom Programs/Speakers Bureau
- • Newsletter
- • "Talkin Trash" monthly radio show/Website Link
- • Public Displays
- Municipal Support
- • Municipal Recycling Program Support
- • Data Management/Recycling Report Assistance
- • TRAP (Tire Recovery Assistance Program)
- Illegal Dumping/Litter Abatement
- • Participant in Great American Cleanup
- • Illegal Dumpsite cleanups
- • Supplies and disposal options
- • Local road adoptions with Keep PA Beautiful
- • Certified Recycling Professional on staff
- • Certified Teacher on staff (Fed and PA clearances)
- • Member, Professional Recyclers of Pennsylvania (PROP)
- • Member, National Recycling Coalition
- • Affiliate, Keep America Beautiful