With the holiday season upon us, Westmoreland Cleanways would like to encourage everyone to continue the spirit of giving by recycling your live Christmas tree. After the festivities are finished, you can take your tree to one of 19 drop-off sites located throughout Westmoreland County. In an attempt to reach more areas of the County a new site has been added this year, the Salem Township/Cochran Enterprise Site.
- • It is estimated that 1 live Christmas tree makes 5 pounds of mulch. The mulch will eventually decompose into valuable humus, nourishing and renewing the soil.
- • When walking on the trails in Hempfield Park or the Nature Trail in Ligonier you are waling on tree-cycled mulch.
- • If not mulched, recycled Christmas trees are used as wildlife habitats, prevent beachfront erosion, improve shoreline stabilization on rivers and lakes, and improve fish habitat.
Please click here for a printable list of recycling drop-off dates and locations in Westmoreland County. All locations require that trees are completely bare of decorations when dropped off. This includes any tree bags or wrappings used to transport the tree to the drop-off site.
Carton recycling is on a roll!
More and more U.S. households are gaining access to carton recycling all the time, including most households in Westmoreland County.
Click here for more information on recycling cartons.
New "Curbside Recycling" Page
Click here to view our newest page "Curbside Recycling." Included on this page:
- • Information on single stream recycling and what can be placed in a curbside recycling bin
- • Advancements in recycling technology which have made recycling easier for the residents… no more sorting
- • New additions to the recycling bin
Earth Machine Compost Bin and Systern Rain Barrel Sale
Thank you to everyone who purchased a rain barrel or backyard composting bin at our June 1 sale. If you were unable to make it to the sale, you're in luck. We have a limited supply of Systern rain barrels available for $65.00, and Earth Machine™ Backyard Compost Bins for $55. This is a significant savings from the regular retail price of $100.00 or more.
- 1. Pay by check or money order by mailing us this form along with an enclosed check or m.o payable to Westmoreland Cleanways
- 2. Pay by credit card (through PayPal). Click the Donate button on the left side of this page and place your order under the comments section
Barrels and bins will be sold on a first-come, first served basis, and when they're gone, they will be gone. Call the office at 724-836-4129 for more information.
Hosting a Special Event?
Consider our FREE Special Events Recycling bin loaner program
Westmoreland Cleanways promotes recycling at special events and outdoor spaces. We offer a loaner program in which recycling bins can be borrowed for a 1 day event such as a graduation party, for a few days at a festival/fair, or even a few months for long term events such as the baseball or swimming season. Please call (724) 836-4129 or click here for more information.
Search the Web – and give back to Westmoreland Cleanways
As of 6/24/2013 the total raised was $36.49... Help us reach our goal of $100 by the end of 2013!
Stop and think about how many times a day you search the Internet. Is it once? Twice? Five times a day? Search the Web using GoodSearch.com and get the most relevant results including video, images and more powered by Yahoo! search technology. Each time you search the Web, you earn about a penny for Westmoreland Cleanways.
Ordering pizza for a party? Going out to dinner for your anniversary? Register for GoodDining and you can earn up to 6% of your total bill, including tax and tip, as a donation for Westmoreland Cleanways when you dine at any one of the more than 10,000 participating restaurants bars or clubs across the nation 365 days a year.
Add the GoodToolbar to your Internet browser and never miss an opportunity to donate to Westmoreland Cleanways. You can search the Internet from the search bar. Also a part of the toolbar will light up when you are shopping online at a GoodShop partner site notifying you of donation opportunities and alerting you to coupons and discounts available from the merchant. *Based on the average merchant partner donation of 3%.
Keep Westmoreland County Beautiful, a project of Westmoreland Cleanways, brings it home to Westmoreland County
Since affiliating with Keep America Beautiful (KAB) in 2011, Keep Westmoreland County Beautiful, the KAB project arm of Westmoreland Cleanways, has worked to identify KAB grant and project opportunities for Westmoreland County residents. Two such successful programs are:
- 1. Cigarette Litter Prevention Program (CLPP): The Cigarette Litter Prevention Program provides funding to educate the public on the nastiness and downright grossness of cigarette butts littering our streets, parks and other public spaces. $1,000 grants were obtained in both 2012 and 2013 for projects in Westmoreland County Parks and Keystone State Park. Check out the dramatic results on our Litter Control page!
- 2. 2013 Keep America Beautiful/UPS Community Tree Planting Grant: Keep Westmoreland County Beautiful awarded a grant of $5,000 to the City of Latrobe as part of the proposed Lincoln Avenue Corridor Trail Rejuvenation Project. The funds will be used to install a variety of native trees along the planned hiking/ biking trail on Lincoln Avenue through the city.
2013 Westmoreland Cleanways Calendar of Events
Coordinate your schedule with our 2013 Calendar of Events. We'll be back with hard-to-recycle collections, the HHW collection, cleanups and more.
Electronics Recycling Programs
The deadline for implementation of Pennsylvania's Covered Devices Recycling Act (CDRA) was January 24, 2013. Most waste haulers serving Westmoreland County are no longer accepting the banned electronics: TVs, computers, monitors, and computer peripherals. The Latrobe Transfer Station and the landfills (Valley, Greenridge, and Sanitary Landfill) are also no longer accepting them.
Westmoreland County residents and small businesses have several options now, and more will be cropping up in the coming months. All electronic items can be recycled, at no cost.
- • Westmoreland Cleanways Office, Donohoe Road
- • Westmoreland Cleanways' Hard-to-Recycle collections: 2013 Calendar of Events
- • Westmoreland County Electronics Recycling Drop-off Locations
- • Check the PA DEP Consumer Resources website for other county programs
Worn But Not Worn Out – Give Your Old Shoes A New Life
Westmoreland Cleanways is excited to announce a new partnership with Shoebox Recycling to collect usable footwear and put it to a much better use than landfilling. ShoeBox Recycling collects "worn but not worn out" shoes and sends them to developing countries, where they are distributed to people who truly need them. Some of the many benefits of the program are to decrease foot-borne illness, create economic opportunities in the local economies, keep a small piece of over 300 million pairs of shoes out of the landfill, and to support Westmoreland Cleanways' educational and outreach programs. Drop-off boxes are now located at Westmoreland Cleanways' Donohoe Road office, Chambers Hall at the University of Pitt-Greensburg campus, and in Founders Hall at Westmoreland County Community College's Youngwood Campus. Click here for collection sites and the types of shoes we can accept. If you would like to host a collection site for Westmoreland Cleanways, please contact us at 724-836-4129.
The 2013 Recycling Guide is Available Online
A downloadable Recycling Guide for Westmoreland County is available. For the most extensive, up-to-date information on recycling opportunities in our county, download the Recycling Guide.
TALKING TRASH WITH WESTMORELAND CLEANWAYS: FEATURED ON 1480 WCNS AM RADIO'S SATURDAY MORNING "TALK BLOCK"
1480 WCNS AM Radio's Saturday morning show, Talk Block, features "Talking Trash with Westmoreland Cleanways" from 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. on the first Saturday of each month. Talking Trash covers a variety of programs and services offered by Westmoreland Cleanways and of importance to our residents. If you would like to hear about a particular topic or if you would like to have a question answered during the show, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find a link on our site that doesn't work? Can't find updated information?
We are continually updating our website to provide residents with the most current information and recycling opportunities available. If there is information that you cannot access or locate, please call our office at (724) 836-4129. We welcome and appreciate your feedback!
Thank you to all of our Sponsors, Vendors, Board and Dedicated Volunteers who helped make our Collections a success!
- "Keep Westmoreland County Beautiful"
- an affiliate of
- Keep America Beautiful
- since 2011
- 226 Donohoe Road
- Suite 101
- Greensburg, PA 15601-7470
- Phone: 724-836-4129
- Fax: 724-836-5597
|Join Our Mailing List|